I remember reading two or three years ago that Google researchers had
developed an AI component for Google Translate, which revolutionized it.
People woke up the day after the (secret) release and reported "hey, what
happened? this is infinitely better!"  I gave it a try at after reading
that, and sure enough, there was a remarkable improvement -- although some
lamented the demise of a popular source of amusement.  I use it for
Hebrew-English translation -- not a small challenge.

No one assumes that Google Translate will do a masterful job.  It's a tool,
not a professional translator and editor. (Just like Google is a search
engine, not a professional research assistant).  Perfect for landing pages
on things like museum websites, "contact us", etc.  Less so for exhibition
texts, articles, and deep content, but its certainly better than nothing.
If you have an fat budget for multiple-language translation and editing
staff or services, fine.  Most don't.  (BTW it's a great time-saver for
creating a draft that a human can then edit and improve.)

Deliberately not putting the widget on a website seems the opposite of
customer service.  Yes, the visitor can copy and paste into Google
Translate him/herself, but just having the widget there says "we want you
to stay and read and understand us. Maybe this will help."

Amalyah Keshet

*Amalyah Keshet*
*Copyright Management for Cultural Heritage, Jerusalem, Israel*
*Senior Consultant, Naomi Korn Associates, London *