Hi, folks! We wanted to share our latest mapping work, hoping it might help
our peer institutions.

When COVID first hit, we were tasked with creating a digital alternative to
paper maps that would help visitors wayfind on their personal cell phones.
Several months later, the project is in a usable state and we've
open-sourced the code so other institutions can benefit.

You can see the online example of our map <https://map.fieldmuseum.org/> or
point your developers to the project on Github
<https://github.com/arcataroger/openlayers_indoor_map>. You're free to use
and modify this as you see fit. Please note that we will not be able to
provide much support, due to limited resources.

Visitor features include:

   - Usable on both desktop and mobile devices
   - Clickable points of interest with a popup description & picture
   - Variable levels of detail based on zoom & importance
   - COVID one-way flows (also useful for one-way exhibitions)
   - Relatively lightweight and fast, with additional assets lazy-loaded in
   the background

Staff/editor/developer features:

   - Doesn't require any proprietary/paid software or service, just staff
   time. Can be created and launched with $0.
   - Integration with a headless CMS so editors can make changes (text,
   images, colors, etc.) without any coding
   - Created with geospatial standards in mind for broad compatibility with
   other web mapping platforms (geoJSON)
   - Thorough readme and detailed comments in the (messy, sorry) code

This project was built over several months after an exhaustive look at the
commercial marketplace. Although many commercial indoor mapping solutions
exist (Here.com <https://venues.here.com/products/maps-sdk>, MazeMap
<https://www.mazemap.com/>, IndoorAtlas <https://www.indooratlas.com/>,
MapsIndoors <https://www.mapspeople.com/mapsindoors/>, WRLD
<https://www.wrld3d.com/3d-maps/indoor-mapping>, among others), we had a
budget of $0 and could not afford to outsource this. We consulted with
several GIS & mapping professionals (thank you, AMNH!) and determined this
could be done using free geospatial software (QGIS
<https://qgis.org/en/site/> + OpenLayers <https://openlayers.org/>) with a
series of labor-intensive workarounds. Most free online mapping tools are
meant for outdoor use, so the bulk of our work (aside from manually
digitizing floorplans) was in tweaking OpenLayers to display the floors of
an indoor museum. This is the culmination of those months of tweaks, and we
hope you find it helpful on your own mapping journey.

For general questions, please contact our developer, Roger, at
rt...@fieldmuseum.org. For technical issues, it's best to file an issue in
Github <https://github.com/arcataroger/openlayers_indoor_map/issues> so it
can be properly tracked (but email is ok too). Thanks!

Sincerely,
The Digital Team at the Field Museum, with thanks to our friends in
Exhibitions, IT, and the Keller Science Action Center