http://musliminsuffer.blogspot.com/

bismi-lLahi-rRahmani-rRahiem
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

=== News Update ===

Statement From The University of Ottawa Muslim Students Association
Regarding Danish Cartoons

Ottawa February 18, 2006: Since many of you are concerned about the recent
events surrounding the Danish Cartoon Controversy, we feel we should offer
an official statement, letting you know where we stand. The practice of
insulting God’s prophets is no historical novelty. It has been done on
several occasions, and there are precedents for dealing with such a matter.
Recall that Muhammad (SAW) himself had to come to terms with the paintings
which lined the walls of the Ka’aba. These paintings, which we may also
call caricatures, offered the most obnoxious and unpalatable depictions of
our patriarchs engaged in blasphemous activities. We ought to pay attention
to how Muhammad (SAW) dealt with those at the time. He certainly did not
overreact, nor lose his temper, nor burn effigies in the streets, nor did
he engage in abstract and senseless debates about freedom of expression
(which risk characterizing us as dishonest advocates of censorship). Our
Prophet responded with the traits which won him so much respect and
political legitimacy: Patience, diplomacy, and amnesty. He struggled
against the repressive Quraysh for 23 years to win the hearts and minds of
the people of Mecca. And only until they accepted him as their leader did
he take it upon himself to wash the paintings off the sacred walls of the
Ka’aba.
http://www.uomsa.com

===

Flemming Rose Oped In Washington Post: "Why I Published Those Cartoons"

Childish. Irresponsible. Hate speech. A provocation just for the sake of
provocation. A PR stunt. Critics of 12 cartoons of the prophet Muhammad I
decided to publish in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten have not minced
their words. They say that freedom of expression does not imply an
endorsement of insulting people's religious feelings, and besides, they
add, the media censor themselves every day. So, please do not teach us a
lesson about limitless freedom of speech.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/17/AR2006021702499_pf.html

===

Italy cartoon row minister quits

Roberto Calderoli belongs to the anti-immigrant Northern League
The Italian reform minister who angered Muslims by wearing a T-shirt
decorated with Western media cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad has
resigned.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4727606.stm

===

Anti-Muslim graffiti defaces mosque for 2nd time this week

Palestinians discovered anti-Muslim graffiti on a West Bank mosque on
Friday, for the second time in a week. In contrast to the previous
incident, no protest riots were reported in the area following the discovery.
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/684177.html

===

Muslims' reactions to cartoons 'not so alien as we think' - The Silent
Treatment

THE American left and right don't agree on much, but weeks of
demonstrations and embassy burnings have pushed them toward convergence on
one point: there is, if not a clash of civilizations, at least a very big
gap between the "Western world" and the "Muslim world." When you get beyond
this consensus -- the cultural chasm consensus -- and ask what to do about
the problem, there is less agreement. After all, chasms are hard to bridge.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/17/opinion/17Wright.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

===

NATIONAL MUSLIM COALITION ISSUES STATEMENT ON CARTOON CONTROVERSY

(Ottawa, Canada - 17/02/06) - Prominent national Canadian Muslim
organizations and umbrella groups have signed an unprecedented statement
praising Canada’s collective response to the cartoon controversy, saying
Canada has “made Canadian Muslims proud.”

===

Europe's contempt for other cultures can't be sustained

A continent that inflicted colonial brutality all over the globe for 200
years has little claim to the superiority of its values. Is the argument
over the Danish cartoons really reducible to a matter of free speech? Even
if we believe that free speech is a fundamental value, that does not give
us carte blanche to say what we like in any context, regardless of
consequence or effect. Respect for others, especially in an increasingly
interdependent world, is a value of at least equal importance.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1711874,00.html

===

Public Screening of film on Prophet Muhammad at Concordia University

The film will be shown on Wednesday, Feb 22nd at 7:00pm in
the Hall Building of Concordia University (Montreal) in room H-435
see: http://www.pbs.org/muhammad/

===

PILGER AND SIMPSON URGE JOURNALISTS TO DROP 'STONE AGE' AND 'PRIMITIVE'

John Pilger and BBC World Affairs editor John Simpson have urged fellow
journalists not to use terms such as 'stone age' and 'primitive' to
describe contemporary tribal peoples, in a letter published in the
Financial Times.

To find out more about Survival's campaign to stamp out racism against
tribal people in the media, visit
http://survival-international.org/stampitout.php

For more information call Miriam Ross on (+44) (0)20 7687 8734 or email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To read this press release online visit
http://survival-international.org/news.php?id=1385

===

Three Poems: Is Democracy being used as a Weapon of Mass Destruction?

http://www.montrealmuslimnews.net

===

The Abu Ghraib photos and the anti-Muslim "free speech" fraud

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/feb2006/abug-f17.shtml

===

UN report denounces US torture and calls for closure of Guantánamo prison camp

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/feb2006/un-f17.shtml

===

Shameful: This is the world's view on Guantanamo

A UN report condemns 'torture' at the detention camp. But, like other
revelations in the 'war on terror', the reaction is to deplore the
publicity and ignore the brutality.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/article346357.ece

===

Abu Ghraib leaked report reveals full extent of abuse
    * 1,325 images of suspected detainee abuse
    * 93 video files of suspected detainee abuse
    * 660 images of adult pornography
    * 546 images of suspected dead Iraqi detainees
    * 29 images of soldiers in simulated sexual acts

Nearly two years after the first pictures of naked and humiliated Iraqi
detainees emerged from Abu Ghraib prison, the full extent of the abuse
became known for the first time yesterday with a leaked report from the US
army's internal investigation into the scandal.

===

The History of CIA Interrogation

  From the Cold War to the War on Terror

Professor Alfred McCoy talks about his book “A Question of Torture”, a
startling expose of the CIA development of psychological torture from the
Cold War to Abu Ghraib. CIA mercenaries attempted to assassinate McCoy more
than 30 years ago.

===

Arguments used by the South African apartheid regime now being used to
justify anti-terror measures.

Tutu calls for Guantanamo closure. Archbishop Desmond Tutu has joined in
the growing chorus of condemnation of America's Guantanamo Bay prison camp.
He said the detention camp was a stain on the character of the United
States as a superpower and a democracy. He also attacked Britain's 28-day
detention period for terror suspects, calling it excessive and untenable.
His comments follow a UN report calling for the closure of the camp where
some 500 "enemy combatants" have been held without trial for up to four
years. Speaking on the BBC's Today programme, Archbishop Tutu said he was
alarmed that arguments used by the South African apartheid regime are now
being used to justify anti-terror measures.

SEE ALSO VIDEO REPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3681938.stm

===

Film Review and Interview with "The Road to Guantanmo" Director Winterbottom

English director Michael Winterbottom's provocative new film "The Road to
Guantanamo" premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival this week.
The docu-drama blends interviews, news footage and re-enactments to tell
the story of three British Muslims taken from Pakistan to the US prison
camp on Cuba.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,401386,00.html

===

UK police arrest stars of award-winning film "The Road to Guantanamo" under
the Prevention of Terrorism Act

Citing the "Prevention of Terrorism" act, British Police have arrested and
interrogated three of the stars of the award-winning film "The Road to
Guantanamo", together with the three ex-Guantanomo detainees on whose story
the film is based.
http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/archives/2006/02/internet_exclus.html

===

Poll: 40% of UK Muslims want Sharia

Four out of ten British Muslims want Sharia, or Islamic law, introduced in
predominantly Muslim parts of the country, a poll has showed. One in five
of those polled for the Sunday Telegraph also said they sympathised with
the "feelings and motives" of the bombers who killed 52 people in attacks
on the London transport system in July. But 91% of British Muslims said
they feel loyal to the United Kingdom.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/61480B70-88BC-48EA-997B-9D24ABD29218.htm

===

SEMINAR IN MONTREAL SATURDAY FEBRUARY 25: "THE ALTERNATIVE TO ‘RIBA’
CARRYING INVESTMENTS"

Canada Muslim News - You are cordially invited to our financial
seminar/workshop held exclusively for Muslim professionals and their
families. We at Investors Group find it important as Canada’s largest
financial consulting firm to cater to the special needs and requests of the
Muslim population in Montreal and across Canada. Through this seminar you
will learn the benefits of:
http://www.montrealmuslimnews.net

===

37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty

Americans have always believed that hard work will bring rewards, but vast
numbers now cannot meet their bills even with two or three jobs. More than
one in 10 citizens live below the poverty line, and the gap between the
haves and have-nots is widening.

===

What Happened To My Country?

My God! What has happened to my nation? My nation that no longer pays more
than lip service to its Constitution and Bill of Rights, which have been a
beacon to the world for over two centuries. My nation that unilaterally
discards treaties that were the hope of a world of peace, guided by law and
diplomacy. My nation that will wage a war of aggression against a far off
nation that was no threat to it, but that has lots of oil. My nation that
gives all of its wealth to the rich and is satisfied to leave its citizens
to starve, homeless, unemployed and sickly. Continued

===

How Will We Know When We Have Lost, America?

We will know we have lost when we do what we have done in Abu Ghraib,
Guantanamo, Diego Garcia, Bagram and the other entirely secret and not so
secret CIA and military detention centers round the world. We will know we
have lost when the first target in the massacre of a village or city is its
hospital.

===

What Bush Is Up To

I'm going to tell you what the real Bush administration policy is.

===

And the top 10 worst presidential blunders are...

Apparently CNN does not view lying the nation into a war of conquest as a
blunder.
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/02/18/president.mistakes.ap/index.html

===

Not terribly pro-life, is it Mr President?

Last month, the military forces that this same president commands aimed a
missile at a house in Damadola, a Pakistani village near the Afghan border.
Eighteen people were killed, including five children. The target of the
attack, al-Qaeda's No 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, was not among the dead,
although lesser figures in the terrorist organisation reportedly were. Bush
did not apologise for the attack, nor did he reprimand those who ordered
it. Apparently, he believes that the chance of killing an important
terrorist leader is sufficient justification for firing a missile that will
almost certainly kill innocent human beings.
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1298&id=254272006

===

Video: Why We Fight

What are the forces that shape and propel American militarism? This
award-winning film provides an inside look at the anatomy of the American
war machine. Is American foreign policy dominated by the idea of military
supremacy? Has the military become too important in American life?

  Click here to view

===

In case you missed it: Constant Conflict

A look behind the philosophy and practice of Americas push for domination
of the worlds economy and culture, US Army War College Quarterly

There will be no peace. At any given moment for the rest of our lifetimes,
there will be multiple conflicts in mutating forms around the globe.
Violent conflict will dominate the headlines, but cultural and economic
struggles will be steadier and ultimately more decisive. The de facto role
of the US armed forces will be to keep the world safe for our economy and
open to our cultural assault. To those ends, we will do a fair amount of
killing.

===

British Judge's anger at US torture

Stinging comments come as America dismisses UN report on Guantánamo

A high court judge yesterday delivered a stinging attack on America, saying
its idea of what constituted torture was out of step with that of "most
civilised nations".

The criticism, directed at the Bush administration's approach to human
rights, was made by Mr Justice  Collins during a hearing over the refusal
by ministers to request the release of three British residents held at
Guantánamo Bay.

The judge said: "America's idea of what is torture is not the same as ours
and does not appear to coincide with that of most civilised nations." He
made his comments, he said, after learning of the UN report that said
Guantánamo should be shut down without delay because torture was still
being carried out there.

FULL ARTICLE AT:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo/story/0,,1711833,00.html

===

Blair's new laws leave us at the mercy of future tyrants

Osama bin Laden's achievement was not to mastermind the flying of jets into
the Twin Towers, not to franchise his brand of terrorism to a lot of savage
young men, not even to inspire the invasion of Iraq. No, it was to spook
the West and to fill our minds with fear so that we let security oppress
liberty and turn us away from the abuse and torture occurring in Guantanamo
and Abu Ghraib.

===

Blair's dumb gag law

History shows such laws are soon followed by offences like 'being an enemy
of the people'

===

Lockerbie - new forensic tests suggest evidence was planted by the CIA

"Megrahi's lawyers already have a sworn statement from a retired Scottish
police officer confirming that evidence had been planted to secure the
Libyan's conviction. "A similar claim was made by a former CIA agent...
http://aangirfan.blogspot.com/2006/02/lockerbie-new-forensic-tests-suggest.html

===

There is no war on terrorism :: from www.uruknet.info :: news from occupied
Iraq - it

There is no war on terror If there was, the whole nation would be told to
take up arms. Everybody would be armed, even on aircraft. Inexpensive
AK47's would be stored in every closet, much like arms are stored in homes
all over Switzerland because the Swiss government has nothing to fear from
its populace. There is only a war against our freedom in the name of a
created threat that doesn't exist. We have been duped into surrendering our
liberty in the false name of security by a government that sends us out
into the "War On Terror" unarmed because we cannot be trusted with guns.
The most basic of all rights is the right of self defense against criminal
attacks. A great equalizer between the weak and the strong, guns in the
hands of women could reduce assaults upon them by stronger male attackers
by 80%. How can it be said that women have equal rights if they cannot
carry, yet Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush
all hide behind guns for their protection because they're much more
important than our wives, sisters and daughters? Again, the only 'war' is
on our freedoms.
http://www.uruknet.com/?p=m20765&hd=0&size=1&l=e

===

The Truth about Torture :: from www.uruknet.info :: news from occupied Iraq
- it

You may wonder how our policy of torture began and developed. Well it was
born out of the bloodlust of Donald Rumsfeld's Pentagon. It's called an SAP
(Special Access Plan.) In order to know what the plan is, you have to have
special access. The `need to know' is very small. It's all about plausible
deniability, don't you know. The plan was put into action after witnessing
the efficacy of torture by certain "allies" in the Middle East and South
Asia. You see, we didn't always torture, but it did begin quickly after the
2001 invasion of Afghanistan. Within a few weeks of the invasion of
Afghanistan, the US and allied troops were overwhelmed with prisoners. "We
exceeded our capacity for interrogation and detention," the former
intelligence official said. "Our allies would tell us," the former official
recalled, "`we pulled out teeth and fingers from prisoners, but we got some
good shit. He's dead now, but we don't care.'" The former official
recounted, "The line gets blurred between using liaison officers to bust
heads and getting American guys to do it." The tough tactics appealed to
Rumsfeld and his senior civilian aides, however.
http://www.uruknet.com/?p=m20754&hd=0&size=1&l=e

===

Bush Administration's War Spending Nears Half Trillion Dollars

President Asks Taxpayers for Another $65 Billion for Iraq and Afghanistan

Feb. 16, 2006 ­ In a single year, it is difficult to measure overall
progress in the war on terror. But ABC News has learned today that
President Bush will ask Congress for an additional $65.3 billion for
operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. It brings the total funds requested
this year to more than $110 billion for those operations.
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/IraqCoverage/story?id=1629118&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

===

The Basra video should lay to rest a scurrilous lie

The smug superiority of the British over their peacekeeping efforts in Iraq
is an insult to those of us who live there

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1710827,00.html

SEE ALSO VIDEO AT:

===

Intrigues continue to stall new Iraqi government

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/feb2006/iraq-f17.shtml

===

U.S. troops kill three civilians west of Baghdad

Three civilians were killed on Sunday after U.S. troops opened fire at
their car near Fallujah
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-02/19/content_4200678.htm

===

British troops executed unarmed Iraqi

Despite being disabled by machinegun fire, the Iraqi was shot at
point-blank range.

===

Sunni clerics complain death squads targeting community members

A hardline Sunni Muslim clerics group is asking for outside help after
renewing accusations that Iraq's Shiite-dominated government is operating
death squads to kill Sunni civilians.
http://www.abc25.com/Global/story.asp?S=4523012&nav=menu213_2

===

Jaafari is unlikely to retain post of Iraqi PM

Ibrahim al-Jaafari's nomination to continue for four more years as Iraq's
prime minister is already in trouble, according to Iraqi sources.
http://www.kurdmedia.com/news.asp?id=11414

===

Influential Iraqi cleric Sadr rejects constitution

Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has said he rejects the Iraqi constitution
backed by his partners in the biggest parliamentary bloc, threatening a new
crisis over one of the country's most explosive issues.
http://tinyurl.com/od87c

===

Video The Iraqi resistance attacking US targets

  http://www.popdrain.com/videos/iedoutside.wmv

===

12 US Troops Killed as 2 Copters Crash in Gulf of Aden

http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D8FRQMA00

===

Four Iraqi Truck Drivers Killed in Ambush

Gunmen ambushed a convoy of trucks carrying construction material Sunday to
U.S. military north of Baghdad, killing four Iraqi drivers, police said. An
police general died in a roadside bombing in northern Iraq.
http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2006/02/19/ap/headlines/d8fs3lp80.txt

===

2 Killed By Car Bomb

Two Iraqis were killed and six wounded when a car bomb exploded near a
suspension bridge that leads to the heavily guarded Green Zone, police said
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IBO939812.htm

===

Roadside Blasts Kill US Gi, 11 Iraqis

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060218/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

===

US soldier among 20 killed in Iraq

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=135851&Sn=WORL&IssueID=28336

===

US Churches Denounce Iraq War, 'American Terror'

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=10601

===

Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Saturday, 18 February 2006
    * US troops make mass arrests in al-Baghdadi, kill 19 year old during
house search.
    * Resistance bomb west of Abu Ghurayb leaves three US troops reported
dead.
    * Association of Muslim Scholars of Iraq casts doubt on US role in
Death Squad scandal: “Why do they minimize their scope when disclosing
them, and then do nothing to stop them?”
    * Under pressure from massive media reporting, puppet regime in Baghdad
forms special committee to investigate reports of secret prison, death
squads, abduction, torture, and murder by puppet regime security agencies
and Badr Brigade militia.
    * Resistance bomb in Baghdad’s ash-Sha‘b district reportedly kills two
US troops.
    * Resistance car bomb leaves three US troops reported dead in Ba‘qubah.
    * Two US troops reported killed in Resistance bombing south of
al-Yusufiyah.
    * US soldier reported killed in bombing in Mosul.
http://www.albasrah.net/en_articles_2006/0206/iraqiresistancereport_180206.htm

===

Nablus: Balata refugee camp is being invaded !!

MMN Note: There has been Israeli army in Nablus since just after midnight
early this morning.  A huge explosion was heard about 12:30 am followed by
firing.  Since then Balata refugee camp just east of Nablus has been
invaded with 2 deaths already.  This report was received from I.S.M.
Nablus: Balata refugee camp is being invaded- Two youth killed and over
thirty injured
http://www.montrealmuslimnews.net

===

Hamas: Decision to cut funds does not scare us

Haniyeh said Israel's new sanctions in the wake of Hamas' election victory
"were meant to force the Palestinians down to their knees ... we've handled
challenges in the past and we will be able to stand up to future challenges
as well," he said

===

IF HAMAS MUST RENOUNCE VIOLENCE, SO SHOULD ISRAEL

"We are stumped by the failure of our democratic concepts to gain a
foothold in the Arab world," wrote Michael Bell, a former Canadian
ambassador to Israel, in the Globe and Mail last week.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1140216612609

===

Taliban raid Afghan police station, kill three

Taliban gunmen killed three policemen in a raid on a security post in a
southern province where thousands of British troops will soon be based,
police said on Sunday.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/ISL279185.htm

===

'Suicide-ready' Taliban lie in wait for troops

Khwaja, 32, also a mohajir, boasted that he had already "supplied" several
dozen "suicide-ready Talibs" to camps inside Afghanistan in preparation for
a spring offensive designed to hit the first British troops to begin
patrolling in Helmand.
http://tinyurl.com/erayc

===

Why America will reap the worst in Iran

by By abid Ullah Jan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - Published: February 19, 2006
see: http://icssa.org/iran_ww3.htm

===

WWIII or Bust: Implications of a US Attack on Iran

"This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply
ridiculous... Having said that, all options are on the table." George W. Bush,
February 2005
http://www.heatherwokusch.com/

===

Guantanamo camp 'an anomaly' says Blair

Posted Feb 19, 2006 06:51 AM PST - Category: TORTURE SCANDAL
http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=254132006

===

Conservatives Endorse the Fuhrer Principle - Our leader über alles

Last week's annual Conservative Political Action Conference signaled the
transformation of American conservatism into brownshirtism. A former
Justice Department official named Viet Dinh got a standing ovation when he
told the CPAC audience that the rule of law mustn't get in the way of
President Bush protecting Americans from Osama bin Laden.

===

Halliburton Detention Centers

What sort of national emergency requires detention centers? America has
plenty of prisons. More of our population is behind bars than in any
country on earth.
http://www.blackcommentator.com/171/171_freedom_rider_halliburton_detention_centers.html

===

-muslim voice-