ini berita yang lebih lengkap soal kasus itu

http://www.thejakartapost.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*December 29, 2006
Mystery deaths baffle officials *

Health officials are investigating the deaths of 22 people who were admitted
to St. Carolus Hospital in Central Jakarta over a two-month period
complaining of high fever.

"We have eliminated known communicable diseases like SARS (Severe Acute
Respiratory Syndrome) and bird flu," the Health Ministry's director general
for disease control and environmental health, I Nyoman Kandun, said
Thursday.

Fearing another disease outbreak on the heels of SARS and bird flu, the
ministry began investigating the cases in October, after St. Carolus
reported a significant increase in the number of deaths at the hospital,
Kandun said.

The latest death was reported Nov. 27.

Samples from the patients, most of whom died after suffering high fever for
at least three days, were sent to the ministry's laboratory, as well as to
the U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit in Jakarta.

A source close to the ministry said samples also were sent to the U.S.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.

Kandun said laboratory tests had eliminated known communicable diseases such
as SARS and bird flu, but had been unable to determine the cause of the
deaths.

All of the victims were above the age of 40 and lived near the hospital.
Some victims suffered respiratory distress, but the only link between them
was that they were treated at St. Carolus.

"We have checked other hospitals in Jakarta but found no other cases. Nor
was there any clustering like we had with bird flu," said Kandun. "Right now
we have declared the case closed unless we find similar cases." *-- JP*