This is a section from "FCC Sixth Report and Order and Third Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking" I read on the 3/26 Dishnut News that I forgot to post which could impact analog transmisions on satellite. You may want to voice comments on this.
The folowing is from paragraphs 84-88, the full text is available at:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-62A1.pdf

c. Analog Video Services

84. Historically, Part 25 has not provided EIRP density limits for analog video transmissions, in either the C-band or the Ku-band. The revisions to Part 25 adopted in the Fifth Report and Order do not change this. Instead, Section 25.211(d) of the Commission’s rules provides EIRP limits rather than EIRP density limits for analog video ransmissions.216 Accordingly, we invite comment on several possible approaches for addressing analog video transmissions under off-axis EIRP requirements.

85. One option is to apply the off-axis EIRP limits proposed in Appendix C for other narrowband analog transmissions to analog video transmissions. A potential concern with this option is that analog video transmissions are generally the most likely to cause interference into other licensed operations.217 Itis not clear whether the analog off-axis EIRP envelopes proposed in Appendix C are sufficient to protect other licensed transmissions. Therefore, we request commenters supporting this approach to provide an appropriate technical study. Such studies should be sufficiently detailed to enable the Commission and other interested parties to review the calculations and to comment on the results. We noted above that a complete ASIA study can fit this description, but we will consider studies in other formats.

86. Another option is to develop new off-axis EIRP envelopes applicable to C-band and Ku-band analog video transmissions. Such requirements should be sufficient to prevent analog video transmissions from causing harmful interference to other licensed operations, but still allow analog video licensees to complete their links with the satellites with which they are communicating. Again, parties supporting this approach should provide a sufficiently detailed technical study to support their
recommendation.

87. Finally, the Commission could prohibit analog video transmissions, the alternative we propose here. The Commission has observed in the past that analog video transmissions are more susceptible to harmful interference from other transmissions and more likely to cause harmful
interference to other transmissions.218 Thus, a prohibition on analog video transmissions may result in more efficient spectrum use. We also note that analog satellite transmissions are declining.219 Thus, technical rules for analog video may no longer be necessary.

88. Accordingly, we propose prohibiting analog video transmissions, unless one or more commenters makes a convincing case that analog video transmissions are necessary, and a detailed technical study that provides a sufficient basis for an analog video off-axis EIRP envelope. We also propose a transition period of no more than one year. Commenters supporting continued use of analog video transmissions should specify the extent to which they currently use analog technology to transmit
video, and the extent to which they plan to continue doing so. They should also indicate whether and to what extent converting from analog to digital transmissions will cause them any particular hardship, in
terms of equipment costs or for any other reason, and how those costs compare to any benefits that might result from such a transition. Some of those benefits may accrue only to the licensee, in the form of
higher quality or faster transmissions. Other benefits may accrue to society as a whole, in terms of more efficient spectrum use. Parties supporting prohibition of analog video services should explain whether a
transition period for analog video is necessary or desirable, and if so, how long.

--

Dishnut-P

Operator of RadioFree Dishnuts - Producer of The Dishnut News
             heard Saturdays at 10pm EST. on
RFD, W0KIE Satellite Radio Network AMC-7 Transponder 5 / 7.50Mhz
(4DTV W-7 973), WTND-LP 106.3, and many micro LPFM stations.
http://dishnuts.net
Show Archives: (DOWN)

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.