Ready to Rent Your Playlist?
Kyle Monson - PC Magazine

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&e=1&u=/zd/20050511/tc_zd/151705

(NOTE: this is where Cool Edit Pro comes in VERY VERY HANDY..LOTS)

The new Yahoo Music Unlimited service, now in beta testing, follows the latest trend in music downloading, giving you all the downloaded tunes you want for $6.99 per month or $59.88 per year with just one catch: You don't own any of them. You can load up your portable player with your downloaded tracks, but you can't burn them to disc and if you stop paying the fee, your music cache vanishes.

We looked at the proposition of renting unlimited music for a flat fee in our review of the latest Napster incarnation, and we are intrigued by the idea. Users have unlimited access to millions of songs, and your digital music collection won't become obsolete as formats improve—though this is partly because the music collection isn't yours to begin with.

Yahoo goes one further than similar services from Napster and Real Networks by significantly cutting the price. The monthly subscription is nearly $8 per month cheaper than Napster's service, and if you sign up for a year with Yahoo you'll save closer to $10 per month. The price cuts are significant as the new music rental services try to win converts to their subscription model.

Yahoo Music Unlimited also lets users purchase music the old-school way for 79 cents per track, 20 cents cheaper than tracks bought from Apple iTunes Music Store.

Your subscription music can be accessed from any PC with an Internet connection, or loaded onto any player with PlaysForSure compatibility. Capable devices include the Creative Zen Micro and Zen Portable Media Center, the Dell Axim X50, the Audiovox SMT5600, several iriver players including the H10, and others. Yahoo Music Unlimited can be used with Windows 2000 or XP, Internet Explorer 6.0, and Windows Media Player 9 or higher, making it more accessible than Napster's subscription service, which requires XP.

Check back soon for our full review of Yahoo's new music service.

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.