On 4 August 2010 20:45, lmhelp <lm...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I am wondering if there exists a "grammar" for the "Wikicode"/"Wikitext"
> language (or an *exhaustive* (and formal) set of rules about how is
> constructed
> a "Wikitext").
> I've looked for such a grammar/set of rules on the Web but I couldn't find
> one...

There isn't one. The "parser" is not actually a parser - it takes
wikitext in, does things to it and spits HTML out. Much of its
expected behaviour is actually emergent properties of the vagaries of
PHP.

Many have tried to write a description of wikitext that isn't the code
itself, all so far have failed ...

> - Is a grammar available somewhere?
> - Do you have any idea how to extract the first paragaph of a Wiki article?
> - Any advice?
> - Does a Java "Wikitext" "parser" exists which would do it?

If anyone ever does come up with an algorithm that accurately