On 17 August 2010 17:54, Graham <tolli...@dal.ca> wrote:

> So I guess there isn't any possibility to have a group of users assigned
> to a Namespace, and the other users status quo.
> The owner of the wiki doesn't want another one to administer, so that's
> why I am trying to be one hundred percent clear. The owner indicated
> that the main Namespace being open isn't an issue. However, being able
> to assign a few users to one Namespace, and having the remainder of
> users functioning as usual is required.
> Just want to be clear.

There are extensions that let you do this sort of thing to some
degree, but they're not part of the main MediaWiki code and are not
likely to be.

The trouble is that even if you restrict users to a namespace or from
a namespace, evidence of the namespace will leak to public visibility
- content, special pages, etc.

The only way to properly secure MediaWiki on this level would be to
put restricting code into every function of this rather large and
complicated piece of software ...

Here's a category of such extensions. I've never used any myself, but
the devs have detailed the problems with such extensions:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Page_specific_user_rights_extensions

Speaking as an intranet system administrator, I'd never try to do this
- if someone wants a secure wiki they get a separaste instance, if
they want page-level security inside a single wiki then MediaWiki is
likely not the right tool.

- d.