I sysadmin a few internal and one external wiki at work, and also
rationalwiki.org. One of the work wikis is SMW.

For the work wikis, OH GOD I WANT VE. Our users are normal competent
people who aren't so good with computers. But they can work a
word-processorish rich text editor just fine. For this use case, even
VE without wikitext (just HTML backing) would be fantastic. (Maybe a
one-off converter for the legacy wikitext?)

For the RationalWiki side, things are great actually. My main headache
there is a pile of in-house extensions that I don't understand and
make me look to our forthcoming 1.19->1.23 upgrade with some
trepidation. My other main headache is a pile of content in LQT that I
would dearly like to extract from LQT; so please please please make a
robust migration path from LQT to Flow, when Flow is finished.

In both cases, installing later versions of stuff, node.js, etc. is
just fine for our use case.

- d.