Knut, I wish this thread had a "thank you" button, for I would have
pressed it for your post.

-Sivan

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Knut Yrvin <knut.yr...@nokia.com> wrote:
> On Torsdag 29. september 2011, ext Robinson Tryon wrote:
>
> Robin Burchell got it right. I don't know about, or can comment on what
> Intel, Linux Foundation and other companies has planned for Tizen.
>
>> The impression I've gotten over the last few months was that Nokia was
>> reducing their investment in Qt as a part of a move to an MS-Windows
>> phone stack.
>
> Actually we are hieing, and has been hieing for quite a while now.
>
>> Microsoft was changing up some of their APIs, and Nokia
>> was transitioning between OSes and application frameworks as well.
>
> The transition API mapping between Qt and MS API's goes both ways. We are
> also making it easier for developers from Microsoft 'tooling space' to
> program cross platform, cross devices with Qt, targeting non Windows Phone
> systems. Also the community project enabling Qt on Android is steaming ahead
> simplified by Qt Lighthouse. (My personal preference would be if a community
> project just went ahead of porting Qt to Windows Phone).

I have a hunch that very good things will come out of this. About
porting Qt to windows phone, that could be perhaps possible if we get
a proper non interpreted compilation environment there. Not sure the
community can afford it and register as an organization permitted.

>> You sing the praises of Qt quite admirably, but your tune appears to be
>> quite different from the message I'm getting from other people at
>> Nokia.
>
> Obviously Nokia is in a stage of tough transition, impacting many employee.
> Being a leading phone manufacture to being a challenger, is a change in
> mindset, impacting all. Thousands of Symbian developers are transferred
> Accenture. There are factories being closed due to structural changes in
> what types of phones people buy. The only certainty being an engineer, is to
> adapt to changes. Qt is one of those change makers, and we are hiring Qt
> developers.

+++1 , personally I regret not concentrating on just Qt from the first
place with the MeeGo dance. Platforms come and go (anybody remembering
Qtopia?) , but Qt is still here and will be here for long time as I
see its many corporate customers like Autodesk as one prominent
example.

> Also there are a ~275% growth in demand for Qt programmers in US. Given that
> US is hit as hard as Europe with economical stagnation, it's quite
> interesting Qt has kept it's momentum:
> 1. http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=C%2B%2B+Qt&l=&relative=1

Being the most enjoyable FW to develop with so far for the areas it
targets, I don't see why it should be any less. Qt on android is not
just "there". There's an eveyday need by develoeprs that only it can
fill.

> (The number jobs postings requiring Qt in China is larger than US, and
> Germany is almost as many job postings as in US).
>
> A side step, but kind of relevant for those being worried regarding their
> free software skills. The job trends at indeed.com is quite fun. Try to add
> 'Linux, Windows' (without the apostrophes) and press 'Find Trends', showing
> the 'Relative' scale. Jobs requiring Linux competence is constantly growing
> where Windows jobs has stagnated. It always make me optimistic for the
> future of free software and open standards ...  (When you're at it, you may
> search for 'HTML5, Silverlight' too :) )

And interesting site you've found there, even just for the glance of the eye :)

-Sivan