On Friday 28 May 2010 09:03:59 Wu, Jackie wrote:
> Currently, it does not work in a virtual box. The pre-requisites to run the
> SDK is at
> http://wiki.meego.com/Getting_started_with_the_MeeGo_SDK_for_Linux#Pre-requ
>isites.

So, I guess it is time to have this discussion, which has been the elephant in
the room for some time.

Those requirements, for the SDK, are completely unacceptable.

I understand the requirements for optimising MeeGo to certain platforms and
limiting the supported targets (although I can't say I am happy with limiting
it to particular manufacturer's CPUs).  But that only applies to the target
systems.

As a developer, it is not acceptable to me for MeeGo to limit my choice of
development system.  Although I am a hobbyist developer, I believe that would
be true even if I were a professional developer: MeeGo would not be my only
target platform and decisions on development systems are not made on the
basis of requirements for one particular target.

It is essential that the MeeGo SDK works on any major platform.  In
particular, AMD64 as well as IA32 and any desktop or server Intel or AMD chip
from at least the last 3 years.  And any graphics device supported by a major
Linux distribution.

"works" primarily means development tools: compilers, debuggers, etc.  The
graphical environment doesn't have to work well, just well enough that
programs can be developed, tested and debugged.  Of course they will have to
be tested again on real targets but that may not be a development machine but
a special test machine.

And the answer isn't "application developers will just use Qt -- the SDK is
for platform development".  Many developers, of applications that are more
than just toys, need to use the full SDK.  Certainly in my case, if those
requirements for the SDK stand, I am not able to join the MeeGo community.

I believe the solution is going to be that MeeGo has to provide a third
target: not just the existing Intel and ARM targets but a "standard x86"
target.  Only supported, by the SDK team, for development, not for users.

Graham