On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 01:16:40PM -0700, Auke Kok wrote:
> On 09/20/10 12:42, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
> >Firstly sorry if this is the wrong list to send this question to, please
> >advise on the best one if it isn't here.
> >
> >I have been spending my time trying to get the MeeGo UX into reasonable
> >shape on my preferred distro of choice - openSUSE.  Now before I make
> >any form of release/spin/$WHATEVER I would just like to get
> >clarification on what I can/can't use.
> >
> >My understanding is that to use the word "MeeGo" in any direct naming is
> >a no-no unless I pass compliance, of which part of that would mean
> >taking on Connman and other parts of the MeeGo stack that just aren't in
> >my preferred distro and to be honest, we wouldn't want them in there as
> >we have a well tried&  tested stack.
> >
> >So my simple question is, if I use the MeeGo UX can I say "$RELEASE is
> >based on MeeGo's User eXperience, sitting ontop of $DISTRO.
> >Complimenting the other Desktop Environments that are on offer, and
> >offering some additional components (listing components).
> >
> >When things were Moblin, there was a clearly defined usage of UX.  This
> >seems to have disappeared under MeeGo so things aren't as simple as they
> >used to be.
>
> I hate to say it, but for all cases where legal issues are involved,
> please consult your lawyer.

Hey, that's totally not fair here.

This is being done by a community project, for which there are no
lawyers.

And does this mean that some lawyer is going to come after any developer
who doesn't abide by the mythical "MeeGo" compliance rules?

If so, great, what's happening with a few distros that are shipping
"MeeGo" without using ConMan?

If nothing, then fine, we'll just ignore the empty lawyer threats.

If something, then great, what exactly are the rules that need to be
followed here?

thanks,

greg k-h