On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 05:52:35AM +0200, quim....@nokia.com wrote:
> "Simply put, we want to make it possible for an application developer to
> write a MeeGo compliant application once and run it on any MeeGo compliant
> device."
> http://wiki.meego.com/Quality/Compliance

As others have pointed out even with these constraints the promise won't
always work and may in fact be an undecidable problem (see how well
"write once run anywhere" turned out on much more constrained
platforms).

Now, on the same page the above quote is immediately followed by:

  MeeGo compliance addresses two categories of compliance: MeeGo
  compliant applications and MeeGo compliant devices / software products
  (which will be referred to simply as "devices"). In both cases, the
  use of the MeeGo brand will be granted based on being compliant.

And therein lies the rub.  If "no non-core dependencies" was presented
as a guideline ("this is what we recommend you do if you want to
maximise the chances you will install and run without problems from most
app stores on most vendors' devices in the wild") that's one thing, but
under the compliance compulsion ("you will do this, or you are not a
MeeGo app, period") it becomes quite unpalatable.

I still feel that ignoring the store part of the equation, thus giving
it free reign and placing all the burden on the device and developer is
a major omission in the current compliance spec.  At the end of the day,
the issue at hand is about the app delivery mechanism being able to
handle dependencies.  On that I can only agree with Marius: This burden
should be placed on the store.

L.