From: meego-dev-boun...@meego.com [mailto:meego-dev-boun...@meego.com] On
Behalf Of Carsten Munk
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:49 PM
To: Wichmann, Mats D
Cc: meego-dev@meego.com
Subject: Re: [MeeGo-dev] new draft of MeeGo compliance specification

2010/10/20 Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichm...@intel.com>:

> There's a fresh draft up, finally:
>
> http://wiki.meego.com/Quality/Compliance#Specification

Thanks for pushing this out,

Quick run through - hope this is constructive criticism:

Line 72, we really need to spell out that it is ARMv7, EABI, softfp
(for 1.1) as there is emerging tendancies in industry to use hardfp
too.

Line 75-76, IVI is not a supported profile?

Lines 127-129, given that GCC 4.5 in MeeGo 1.1 isn't exactly the best
when it comes to compiler bugs on ARM and some other areas, is there
an exception to compiler bug fixes as these might be needed to
actually productize?

Line 182, MeeGo 1.1 Xorg server actually has     --disable-xinerama so
we can't demand this as compliance (please verify rest on a running
implementation).

For GLESv2 you should require that an implementation must Provide:
libGLESv2.so.2 exists (can be a symlink) and libEGL.so.1 (can be a
symlink)

Line 187, don't we need more than 'uses 2.6.35 kernel or later'? There
should be a requirement on the minimum of options to provide on a
MeeGo install for a userland to run.

Lines 202-203: Have you tried to make a 'compliant' package that
actually uses dots within a package name? It's against
Packaging/Guidelines and we need to try this out before shipping a
compliance document noone can live up to :)

Lines 241-242, regarding the heated issue: I agree there's no good
technical way to test for compliance with non-core-non-ux-deps right
now, but I would propose we set up a work group to work on this exact
issue to come up with a proper solution for 1.2 timeframe - you agree?

There certainly seems to be enough people passionate about the issue
and we should be able to come up with a good solution in a proper
constructive work group.

Lines 249-250: This doesn't ring true in my ears - MeeGo compliant app
means that my app will install and run, right?

I think this needs more work and specification before it should be
allowed - the RPM subarchitecture stuff might be a direction but (d)
must always be true or we can't rely an app being compliant meaning it
will install and work on my device.

Lines 262: there's also a patchlevel (.35) in current MeeGo 1.1

MeeGo Core packages: most apps will base on let's say, libGLESv2.so.2
instead of 'mesa' - is it stated anywhere that for these things, a
drop-in ABI-API compatible .so is OK too?

We should be careful not to shoot ourselves in the foot - app rpms
will depend on libblahblah.so.1 in Requires: , not 'libblahblah'
package.

General comment: I think it would be wise to state something about
compliant package distribution. It would be good to discourage
straight-rpm downloads and encourage repositories instead due to
making it possible to receive security updates of the application.

And the philosophical comment: compliance document only states what
MeeGo requires, not what too much about what it promises in terms of
it's platform development. Let's say, if we do ABI/API breaks doing
major releases or not..

Best regards,
Carsten Munk
MeeGo Nokia N900 hardware adaptation maintainer.