If platform UX differs by the way that can't automated, someone should say how
application
should behave. There is exactly same problem with iPad and iPhone. You can make
iPhone app run to iPad as just zoom mode but it then provides sub optimal UX,

>>At the moment MeeGo application with Qt Quick Components is just re-compile
>>for Maemo5 and MeeGo
>
>I have an other example. As a python developer i ll talk about what i know.
>
>One application i made, a Twitter client use actually PyQt4 or PySide
>binding so with Qt4.
>I didn't have different code for different plateform, except some
>dynamic adjustment for screen size, systray or some minor things for
>plateform look and feel. It s works on MacOSX, Windows, Xfce/Gnome/KDE
>on a linux debian (not yet package for other distrib), Maemo, and
>probably Meego (not tested yet).

For all desktop UX is based to same 1984 first Mac UI pardigm, so same code
will provide same UX to every platform and match system UX. It is not a problem.
The thing is just that Mobile UX is no longer based on same paradigm at all.

More in
http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/kate-alholas-forum-nokia-blog/2010/11/14/how-to-make-modern-mobile-applications-with-qt-quick-components

>So now about QML, if i forgot that i hate the javascript css mix of
>the things, currently it s require that you define ui yourself,
>difficult to respect look and feel of the platform, require a
>description of the ui for the different platform, and doesn't seem to
>respect Theme on Maemo.

In practice, you don't need javascript or css in Qml. Or may be
most complex javascript statement is assignment and if ...
It IS possibble o implement QML application logic with javascript
but it is not mandatory, you could implement it with C++ as usual.

QML does not require diferent description for different platform but
it allows you to optimize US for different platforms. Just think
Netbook without touchscreen and handset.

For Maemo5 UX, mostly problem is that theme differs but as I said,
there is ongoing work to remove MTF dependency. It won't take long,
so be patient.

>So yes i know, it s in development, but the problem i see here is that
>it s maybe not yet the time to push dev to switch to qml, and also to
>say that QWidget will probably not be supported.

I think that it is time if you would like to make mobile applications.

>I m remembering when MeeGo was announce that doing your app today on
>Maemo in Qt will be better for future and will require less work for
>port to MeeGo. At this time, many dev loose time as Qt wasn't at this
>time really ready for everyday use (many bugs on maemo platform).
>Currently it s look like a new technology, require to reconstruct many
>things, isn't ready, and many push for using it. It s look like we are
>doing the same errors again.

If you have done your app with Maemo5 Qt, your work will be in most
cases minimal to move MeeGo and Qt Quick.  Making Qt Quick UI
and C++ interface in my Ar-Drone app did just require couple of days
and it is not just traditionlan UI but also many custom UI elements.

>And now, i'll probably not adopt the QML for my project. If QWidget is
>drop for future Meego Handset device (by drop i mean, no autorotation,
>no respect of the plateform look and feel, etc ...). I ll probably
>look for an other plateform/framework (do not me ask which one, as i
>ll answer that Qt (QWidget) + Python is perfect (for my use.) ).
>
>This was the point of view of a whinning dev :)

For technical reasons QWidgets ( or GTK+ or ..) can't offer optimum mobile UX.
Staying in legacy technologies is easiest solution for developers but
definetely it is not way to make platform or applications to succeed.

We in Nokia, we would like to make platform and our devices to succeed and
we would like to help our developers to succeed. For this purpose we are
offering best and latest technology and not be stuck in legacy technologies.

Kate