On Tuesday 08 March 2011 12:55:45 Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> But I have the feeling that we won't see *any* numbers whatsoever.

I realise the question was directed at the MeeGo architects but I would hope
that the Nokia product managers for the PIM/tracker developments had
quantitative requirements for performance and scalability.  What were they?
Did you meet them?

If I had been the product manager I would have tried to get requirements in
three ways:

1) Put an engineer for a couple of days on testing market leading enterprise
devices (hint, Blackberry).  Determine any practical scalability limits
(numbers of events, contacts, emails, etc) as well as performance with large
databases (update, lookup, etc).

2) Ask my own (Nokia) sales people how they actually use their handheld
devices: how many events, contacts, emails, etc they have on their device?
How many different folders they have them divided into?  How and why do they
look people up? Do they use a card scanning app on their phone to import
business cards?  Do they consider the phone or Exchange to be the master? What
would happen if you stole their phone now and refused to give it back?  Etc.
I am sure the answers would be very different to the way the engineers or even
product managers use their devices.

3) Ask the network operators what their requirements are: many of them have
pretty clear requirements.

Nokia used to be the best at understanding and interpreting market
requirements.  In the old days, that was not only for the consumer segment but
even for business (there is a reason the 6310i is still available on eBay
today!).

Are there really no quantitative requirements you can tell us about, Philip?

Graham