On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:57 PM, ext Jeremiah Foster wrote:

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM,
<kate.alh...@nokia.com<mailto:kate.alh...@nokia.com>> wrote:

On Oct 3, 2011, at 1:08 PM, ext Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> This is what is important to remember; that Qt and its ecosystem will likely
> "just work" on Tizen. But, and this is a big but, will Nokia try and kill Qt
> now that it is under Microsoft's boot?

Nokia has clearly announced that Qt plays key role in next billion project and
Nokia continues active Qt development. Nokia has two separate units, "Smart
devices" that makes N9 and what is moving to MS stuff and then "Mobile phones"
that currently makes S40 phones and will do this "next billion" project. Next
billion project will make Qt handsets as mass products to mass markets.

Hmm, that is quite a different story from what I hear from Nokia's marketing
material. Somewhere there is a disconnect, either Nokia _is_ porting Qt to WP*,
Nokia will continue with Linux for the next billion, or Nokia will use Symbian.
Nokia publicly keeps saying the direct opposite of all these options.

About Next billion, only that is said is that it uses Qt. I can't say anything
more about it and I don't know what is opposite for this ?
Symbian and WP are "Smart devices" unit products and they are moving to WP

I realize you don't speak for Nokia's business plans per se but you can
understand that developers will be skeptical about certain technologies if they
aren't commercially viable. Free Software developers have to eat too.

I can only refer what Nokia has announced publicly, i can't add anything. I
work with developer community unit and i can
say that Qt HAS a future. I understand clearly that FOSS developers have to eat
too. I can say that Qt is commercially viable technology.
Today you can make money with mobile Qt apps for Nokia N9 and Symbian, in
future there will be Next billion project for even larger markets.
Qt is open, it lives it's own live, you can make mobile Qt apps also for
Android. I personally put some of my MeeGo Harmattan Qt Quick components
applications running on my Archos 10.1 Android tablet.

Kate