To improve memory usage in your simulations, try setting "split_chunks_evenly=False" in the Simulation constructor which should result in chunks that are better matched with the gold layers. You can use the visualize_chunks <https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_User_Interface/#data-visualization> routine to compare the chunk layouts (equal vs. unequal). For details regarding the chunks framework used for paralell/MPI simulations, see Features/Parallel Meep <https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Parallel_Meep/> as well as Section 3 "Data-Driven Load Balancing" of https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.04287.

Finally, note that the memory management of the chunks for Lorentzian susceptibility materials (i.e., gold) is currently suboptimal: https://github.com/NanoComp/meep/issues/1084. More memory is being used than is actually required by the simulation. We are hoping to fix this soon.