On Mar 26, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Levi Smith wrote:

I was wondering if someone who lives in a colder area could confirm for
me whether or not something around the vintage of my 83' 300D should
maintain temps even in winter?

        Yes.

I.e. as I recall last summer I saw temps staying around 80-100C which I
thought was about right.
The last week or so I've been driving my 300D and the outside temps are around 20-40F. I can usually get it up to around 60C (is that the line
between 40 and 80?  Or is that line only like 50C?), I never saw it
actually make it to 80, but it gets close if there's enough uphill
driving. It's definitely effected by how much heater usage and how much
flat vs. hilly terrain there is.

        You need a new thermostat.

Also worthwhile to note that I have a greasecar kit installed, so I do
have another 15-20' of heater line, heating a 15 gallon tank of oil, and there's probably a 6' length of those lines that runs directly under the car out in the open, so I would imagine this all works effectively as a
second radiator to some degree.

        It should reach 80C, see above.

I'm just wondering whether the 300D's are just more thermally efficient
and don't always reach their operating temp during the winter (I'm
assuming the operating temp is at or slightly above 80C?), or if this is likely indicative that I have an open or missing thermostat? (Or if the
300D is just "on-the-edge" of generating enough heat in the winter to
maintain operating temps and my greasecar kit is sucking away enough
heat to keep it from reaching them?)

You still need a new thermostat. Regardless of anything added on, the engine coolant temperature should reach about 80 degrees C. You'll get better performance/efficiency when the engine runs at normal operating temp.

Thanks!
Levi