To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 9:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] '82 300CD excessive oil usage-update

Luther Gulseth wrote:

Last evening I applied JB Weld to the valve cover baffle gap and swapped
out the injectors with my 74kmi set from the Blue Bomber ('82 300D). 2 of
the 5 were heavily carboned up, and the other 3 weren't all that great.
All 5 of the heat shields were carboned up also.  That done, today I
checked/set the valves.  Only 2 (4-intake and 3-exhaust) were slightly
loose(less than 1/16 turn), the rest were correct.  So I'm thinking that
carbon is the problem here, and the fresher injectors and some VERY hard
driving might cure the compression differences.  Hopefully that's causing
the oil usage also.  Any thoughs?

From the late Randy Durrance (a MASTER Mercedes mechanic):

Hi Vic,
This is usually done when the valves get adjusted. Pull the valve cover
off and look at the front edge of the oil baffle plate where it meets the
inside of the valve cover close to the oil cap and breather. If it has been fixed, you'll see a gray epoxy covered area. If it needs fixing, you'll see about an eighth inch gap. Clean the area with brake-clean and apply epoxy.
Don't use RTV. Don't use J-B Weld (it takes too long to dry and will ooze
through the gap. The official stuff was Lock-Tite/NAPA 5-minute epoxy. It
does an excellent job and is oil resistant. We used to do this at the M-B
dealer in the 1980s. It paid an additional 2 tenths of an hour to do the job
with a valve adjustment.
  Regards,
    Randy D.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi