IMO, the "latest & greatest" H4 bulbs are the new Osram Hypers. The
70/65 variant will put out substantially more light than stock 60/55
(despite the numbers looking awfully similar), and there should be no
need to mess with relays. The next step up is the 85/80 Hypers but I
don't think you'd want to use those without relays. They're not cheap,
but they are rated to last 2x-3x longer than most overwatt Rallye
bulbs. You can buy them from Peter:

http://www.mckeige.com/products-osram.php

They're not listed on his website, you need to email him for more
details. I just picked up a set for my VW, which has E-code lights but
no relays. Joe Knight just picked up a set for his E-code lights and
reported that he was definitely impressed with the difference from
stock bulbs.

:-)

-Dave M.