Thanks, that eliminates the "os only, Qt version only" possibility.

Could you also check:
1) at what point (in number of features) does it start becoming slow. To
check the number of features in a layer, just click on a layer and the
number of features will be displayed in the info dock.
2) if the number of features added at once matters (i.e. if downloading a
larger or smaller area does make a difference)

- Chris -