On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:59:47 -0500, George Woltman wrote:

 >>     I think my Prime95 broke!  I am on iteneration 479162/5518463 and get a
 >>continuous stream of "ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT" messages which are constantly

 >This is probably an interaction with some new piece of software.
 >I know that the OS should protect you from such interactions, but
 >this problem is quite common.

 >The good news is that these errors do not seem to affect prime95's
 >accuracy (unlike other error messages).  A recent double-check had
 >3 SUMOUT errors, but the residues matched anyway.

Speaking of error messages..
I have a PII-266 working on a 6 million number at the moment which is
(almost) constantly spitting out ERROR: SUM(INPUTS) != SUM(OUTPUTS) errors
and the occasional ERROR: ROUND OFF thrown in for fun..

I've had problems with the computer before (the motherboard almost literally
fried itself overheating and was replaced - note that it isn't overclocked in
any way), and I'm getting the (new) board replaced by the local manufacturer
on monday. The question is whether I should just throw out the computations
that have already been done, or continue when the new board arrives?

--
Sincerely,                 | Don't waste your computer's idle time!
Philip Heede               |

Regional representative for www.Distributed.Net in Denmark

PGP Public RSA Fingerprint: 5DB0 21A6 A606 D9BC BD71 59CA 82B4 0C6E
PGP Public DSS Fingerprint: FDA0 A1FD D025 EF15 1041 894F 4109 0B57 CDAA ACC3

... If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex in the box?

** Tag(s) inserted by Bandit Tagger98 - http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c918704