Mersenne Digest      Thursday, September 9 1999      Volume 01 : Number 623

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:01:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lucas Wiman  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Macintosh Speeds

> Now my question to the list is, would I be better off having these machines
> participate in GIMPS via MacGIMPS on MacOS or should I run mprime on Linux? My
> main concern is performance. Which performs better on the same hardware,
> MacGIMPS or mprime? I would guesstimate that they all have ~32 MB of RAM, and
> those that do not can get upgraded to 32 MB easily. Which route should I take?

Umm, unless Mac's have changed a lot (ie become intel-based machines),
you can't run Mprime under linux.  Mprime is written in intel assembler!

- -Lucas

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:28:03 -0400
From: "Louis Towles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Don't give up on those 24,000 PII hours yet - they can factor, it only
floating point math that messes with the video (ati rage pro I think?)

Louis Towles