 Sounds ok by me.

 I would accept as a 'pattern' for a (possibly transcendental) number ANY
 closed
 form expression giving a general term.  That is, there is some function
f(n)
 for (positive)
 integers n such that a number with 'pattern' is given by the infinite sum

 f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+...+f(n)+...

 The Liouville number I remembered was

 f(n) = (0.1)^(n!)  for n=1,2,3,...

 A simpler (and larger) number used

 f(n) = (0.1) ^ (n^2)

 As I recall, either of these definitions can use any rational number
 (between 0 and 1) in place
 of 0.1 and we get a transcendental number.  Using something convenient in
 base 10 is not the critical
 point.  The critical question is the form of f(n) -- in this case the kind
 of exponent grows faster than a
 linear function.

 I seem to recall a non-intuititive theorem about rational approximations to
 numbers (this is from c. 1968).
 If you can approximate a number too closely, then it is transcendental.
 S.Lang wrote a book on
 trancendental numbers and degrees around 1973 and a precise statement might
 be there.

 Does anyone recall this?

 JT