Here is one (lonely?) vote to set the defaults rather high.  I have some
over-generalizations that encourage you to let the system manage memory
itself. I expect that Mersenne generally runs on the fastest machines, which
tend to have lots of memory. I think it's great we can put it to use! If the
machine bogs down, provide some simple dial to let the user manually recover
the performance.

In attempting to out-guess the operating systems' memory management scheme
lies madness. There are too many platforms and too many PC types to do this
effectively. Instead, your time may be better used by finding quick, simple,
intuitive ways for users to control the program. I'm in favor of your daily
scheduling, and perhaps a "wait +30 minutes" button that's very easy to
press.

NT manages its resources better than 95/98. A well-tuned OS will expand its
working set to fill all physical memory. Like my young boys, I have no
problem letting Mersenne run at full tilt, but I want it to meekly submit
when it's time to quiet down. Good luck, you're tackling a tough problem!

Thanks for checking, Barry
"Hydrogen - a colorless and odorless gas which, given enough time, turns
into people."