On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>If smooth numbers are ones whose prime factors are all small,
>what then are hairy numbers?  Is there an official definition?
>
>"And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, Behold, Esau my
>brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth man:" (Gen. 27:11)

Also, Greek has smooth and rough breathing, called psilé kai daseia. Daseia
means hairy.

I looked in Eric Weisstein's World of Mathematics and found no hairy numbers.
There are, though, a Hairy Ball Theorem (the hair has to have a whorl or other
singularity somewhere) and Haar integral, function, measure, and transform (one
cycle of a square wave at a power-of-two frequency).

phma