Nathan Russell asked:  How much are the people who are trying to
find a 10 million digit prime contributing to the search?

Any machine that is running GIMPS is contributing to mapping
the great universal math-space.  If one is factoring, double checking,
finding a slew of Mersenne composites (I know 30 now), searching
for 10E7s, regardless, any way you look at it, you are on the team.
If we use the orderly system George and Scott have created, we are
uncovering information that cannot be found any other way, information
which will be our gift to humanity for all time.  spike