Mersenne Digest         Friday, March 3 2000         Volume 01 : Number 701

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:40:35 -0800
From: "John R Pierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: Williamette

Hmm.  Microprocessor Reports has released some interesting tidbits about the
new Williamette processor which will probably be the Pentium-4...  This is
the chip Intel recently demonstrated running at 1.5GHz.

<begin quote>

Willamette will be packaged in flip-chip PGA (FC PGA) and was
designed for a socket of between 400 and 500 pins, which Intel
referred to as Socket-W. The unnamed Willamette bus is a source-
synchronous 64-bit 100MHz bus that is quad-pumped to an
equivalent of 400MHz per bit, delivering a total of 3.2GB/s of
bandwidth--three times the bandwidth of the fastest Pentium III
bus. The chip set for Willamette, code-named Tehama, will be a
dual-RAC (RDRAM) design.

A unique and unexpected aspect of Willamette's microarchitecture
is its "double-pumped" ALUs. Claiming the effective performance
of four ALUs, the two physical ALUs are each capable of executing
an operation in every half-clock cycle. The anticipated
improvements to SSE, called SSE2, were introduced in Willamette,
including support for (dual) double-precision SIMD floating-point
operations.

<end quote>

so, its more than just a 1GHz+ P-III design, they've done some significant
architectural internal things.

And, that double SIMD FPU thing otta rock for LL tests, eh?  :D

- -jrp