Dear Ernst,
         The site you want is http://www.4thestate.co.uk/cipherchallenge/

         The competition is from a book called "The Code Book" by Simon
Singh, and I enjoyed reading it immensely. It's about the history
of  cryptography and code breakers, from ancient Egypt to the modern day.

Kind Regards,
         Alex.

P.S. HP have promised us an IA-64 box by Christmas, if you are still
interested.