On 11 Nov 2001, at 20:12, Nathan Russell wrote:

> >The output from the script is interesting, but it can be very
> >misleading for those of us who have recently upgraded equipment.

Yes, those who have recently upgraded equipment - or added more
systems - will find their "hours per day" very far from static. I've
been with GIMPS/PrimeNet for 3.5 years now, but for various
reasons my hours/day has increased by 10% over the last two or
three months.

I think perhaps the hours/day reported should reflect recently
submitted work - say over the last 3 months - rather than the
historical average since the user registered with PrimeNet.

> Well, the way I see it the "P-90 Standard" itself is less than
> perfect.  It was computed on a machine that can no longer even be
> purchased new in some stores,

Hmm. It's a Long Time since I saw a P90 system in a store. My
guess is you'd be lucky to get more than $5 for a P90 system unit
at an auction on e.g. eBay. If you _really_ want a P90 system unit,
you'd probably be best advised to try your local landfill.

The point is NOT whether a particular system still exists, it's to
define a "benchmark" which can be applied to _any_ system.
Obviously you end up with an obsolete benchmark system - you
can compare a "new" system with an existing one, but there's no
way George could have used a 2GHz P4 as a benchmark system
in 1995.

> on a version of the program well before the present version.

I thought the timings had been scaled (at least to v19); the current
benchmark system is a PII-400 (?)

On a personal note, I just passed 100 P90 CPU years accredited
by PrimeNet - but I didn't get a telegram from the Queen, so
presumably the benchmarks _are_ wrong!