----- Original Message -----

From: "jowy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 12:42 PM
Subject: Mersenne: hi everyone

> Hi
>
> I subscribed yesterday to the Mersenne mailing list. I'm a french student,
> and I'm very interested in mathematics and arithmetic. I worked with
friends
> on a sequence of number which we suppose to give only prime numbers.
> It works for the 6 first numbers of the sequence, but I grows very fast.
> The 7th would be a 90 digits exponent.

What do you mean by "90 digits exponant"?  That your number has 10^90
digits?  That it has about 10^90 bits?

> Is there a way to test this number? With Lucas Lehmer? Gauss?

Given that the largest verified prime has about 10^6 digits, and that we are
currently testing numbers up to about 10^7 digits, I would be surprised if
there was a practical way to prove your number prime.  There may, however,
be a simple way to prove it composite, or otherwise to prove your sequence
not always prime, using algebraic or number-theoretical techniques.

In general, number theorists do not give much credence to conjectures of
primality based solely upon the values of the first few elements of a
sequence.

Regards

Daran G.