> From: Brian J. Beesley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I'm also working, at low priority & again with a couple of
> helpers, at completing triple-checking for all small
> exponents (under 1 million). Why? So far as I'm concerned,
> it's something useful for a couple of slow systems to
> do whilst they're acting as room heaters! I certainly don't
> regard this sub-project as "important", it's just that the
> systems I'm employing are too slow to be of much use to
> PrimeNet, even for factoring assignments.

As a long-time user of computational room heaters, I'd urge others who live in
climates where heating is required to consider using their old machines as heaters and
contribute to distributed computation projects as a free by-product.

Although Primenet has moved on way beyond the point where 486 and early Pentium class
machines can do much of practical use, there are a number of other projects which can
make good use of older machines.  The one I'm particularly fond of is ECMNET but there
are many others, pointers to which can be found in the usual places.

Paul