--On Monday, November 03, 2003 5:08 PM -0800 John R Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

George Woltman wrote:

At 04:35 PM 11/3/2003 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:

I don't know if the affinity stuff will work in linux, however..

Mprime ignores the affinity settings in the ini files.  We'll have to
add it when linux 2.6 is released.

kernel 2.6 has been 'released' for some time now. however, Red Hat just announced they are discontinuing all support and future development for "Red Hat Linux" effective almost immediately (Dec31 2003 for RH 7.x and 8.0, and april 31 2004 for RH 9.0), instead offering Red Hat Enterprise 3.0, which costs $$$ per system. I don't know if Kernel 2.6.x has made it into any of the other mainstream distros yet.

Essentially they are discontinuing it under that name, but merging it into the Fedora distro (a fully redistributable, open source distro based on RH). It is simply no longer going to be called "Red Hat Linux." There's some speculation that they may be using Fedora for testing code that's not known to be stable before including it in their enterprise distro, but that's not the end of the world - anyone can install any old rpm version they feel confident in.

See the thread I started at <http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=84550&cid=7379004> for more than you wanted to know about the whole thing.

Nathan