On 12/15/2015 01:25 AM, Timothy Arceri wrote:
On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 00:17 +1100, Timothy Arceri wrote:
In core profile even if re-linking fails rendering shouldn't fail as
the
previous succesfully linked program will still be available. It also
shouldn't be possible to have an unlinked program as part of the
current rendering state.
Hey guys,

Any thoughts on this change?

Thinking about this some more we should probably rework the compat code
also and only do the check for link status if there is an assembly
shader right?

I wanted to hear from others first since for me it feels this change seems specific to separate shader programs (I had a patch on list that skipped the check for those programs that were not in use by current pipeline).

The reason is that with regular programs I can't see a way to continue if relinking fails (because program is now in bad state). I think user should detach the malfunctioning stage and link again. However with SSO relink to a unused stage may fail but we can still have a complete working program with stages marked as used.

Thanks,
Tim

// Tapani