On 10/04/2011 01:22 PM, Paul Gotzel wrote:
Hello,

I've recently upgraded to mesa 7.11 and I've noticed significant
performance degradation when using osmesa.  Here's my results when
comparing the versions:

Version       Time
7.6.1            4s
7.10.3          16s
7.11             23s

This is the time to render a single frame (including the initial
program overhead).   Any thoughts?

I don't have time to investigate this in any depth. One thing that comes to mind is the software texturing code. Most of the ubyte-based texture sampling code was replaced by floating point so if you're doing a lot of texture mapping, that could be a reason.

To learn more, someone would have to do a bisection.

What kind of rendering featurs are you using (plain shaded tris, texturing, shaders, etc)?

I'm not using the gallium
framework.  Would enabling gallium help in some way?

LLVMpipe would almost certainly be a lot faster. I've been meaning to write a new OSMesa interface for gallium but haven't found the time. That would be a valuable project for at least a few people.

-Brian