Hi,

On 9 October 2017 at 16:29, Marek Olšák <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Daniel Stone <dan...@fooishbar.org> wrote:
>> Which is exactly the problem validateUsage() is supposed to solve. All
>> we can do is rely on gbm_bo_import failing (which is best, as it can
>> never be used for scanout), or at least the KMS commit fail (worse,
>> especially pre-atomic, but still beats displaying garbage?). We don't
>> need magic blits, or untiled views, or anything: just failing is fine
>> and we'll fall back to composition.
>
> I prefer page flipping over composition. With X/DRI, the DRI state
> tracker (or maybe libGL/libEGL) always sets the scanout flag.
>
> Starting with our Raven APU, the scanout and non-scanout tiling mode
> is the same for 32bpp, so there won't be any compatibility issue.

Oh totally, I prefer it as well. I'm just saying that 'Wayland' is
stuck here: without validateUsage() actually validating usage (ditto
the KMS driver) on older generations, we don't really have a way to
ever attempt pageflipping without it showing garbage sometimes. To
expand: pageflipping > composition > garbage on screen. :)

Cheers,
Daniel