From: mesa-dev <mesa-dev-boun...@lists.freedesktop.org> on behalf of
abel.berna...@gmail.com <abel.berna...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 16:10
To: mesa-dev@lists.freedesktop.org <mesa-dev@lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Migration to ORC JIT for llvmpipe to run on RISC-V

!! External Email
Dear mesa developers,

I am trying to run mesa with llvmpipe on a RISC-V platform, without success.
This is needed in order to get some performance figures for the RISC-V Graphics
SIG.

By default llvmpipe is using MCJIT and crashes on
lp_build_create_jit_compiler_for_module because MCJit does not support RISC-V.

Seems like MCJIT is deprecated and it is not going to accept new architectures,
so llvmpipe will never run on RISC-V unless ported to ORC JIT. I see there is
already a merge request for migrating llvmpipe from the deprecated MCJIT to the
new ORC JIT:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/17801<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.freedesktop.org%2Fmesa%2Fmesa%2F-%2Fmerge_requests%2F17801&data=05%7C01%7Cjfonseca%40vmware.com%7C32d436bd9c7d4f82a89708db1a6f9283%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C1%7C638132838743751755%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Vcua8DKHtnF0tyL%2Fc9YnY2zivGQCS%2F%2F0z%2BEphdUXoLU%3D&reserved=0>

My understanding is that the code is good for merging in a disabled state
(rather than enabled by default). However the merge is gated by the fact that a
meson build option is still missing.

Do the mesa developers need help with this? I could try to add the missing
option myself if that helps, as this task is critical for supporting basic
graphics on RISC-V. Let me know what RISC-V can do to help.

Regards.

!! External Email: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender.