On 03/02/2015 09:36 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On 3 March 2015 at 13:57, Dave Airlie <airl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Okay I've revised this to add some more info to the interface,
>> essentially I need to get the fourcc back so I can later pass
>> it across the "wire" to the EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import, also
>> the number of planes (though for my usecase I don't care so much).
>>
>> The problem with EGL_MESA_drm_image is that I've no idea how to retrieve
>> the internal format of an image so I know what to tell the other side,
>> since I just create a normal 2D texture and want to export it,
>> I need to know what format mesa internally picked for it. This works
>> out the fourcc and returns it.
>>

> While talking to krh on irc he mentioned that maybe I should skip egl images
>
> and go straight to the texture id->dma-buf extension,
>
> again any opinions from anyone in the area would be useful.

Please use EGLImages as the import/export object. That provides
consistency with existing similar EGL APIs. And it allows a clean
separation between EGL-aware code and GL-aware code in applications
and compositors.

For what it's worth, extensions in this area being developed by Google's
Chrome OS team also use EGLImages as the transport object.