On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 26-JAN-2000 18:40:01.60
> >Stephen J Baker wrote:

> Hmm.. they claim that Mark has dropped glut. But I got a mail from Mark only
> 3 weeks ago saying that he is working on version 3.8.

Well, that's interesting news.  But considering GLUT 3.7 was released
on May 7th 1998 and not one word on the subject has appeared from Mark
since then - it was a reasonable assumption!  Also, GLUT 3.7 shows
signs of being released long before it was ready - quite a bit of the
newer GLUT functionality is only supported on one OS.

Did you hear anything about what he's planning to add in 3.8?

> This may be a problem --> it means work to to to get working programs working.
> Another problem maybe that it not 100% compatible with glut. So maybe
> some application will be broken.

It *seems* to be 100% compatible from all the testing I've done - but
it is hard to tell for sure.

> >I don't see an urgency to replace GLUT with freeglut in the
> >Mesa distro.

> Agreed. I think it would be best to include both (or pointers only) in the
> Mesa-distribution so that application builders can choose. Remember that
> (free)glut is only a tool-kit to make programming with OpenGL easier. Our work
> is the graphics-core. which does not depend on the tool-kit chosen.

Well, there is an argument that Mesa shouldn't bundle GLUT at all - but
the rationale is that new Mesa users will want to compile the demo/example
programs - and for that they need GLUT - so we might as well bundle it in
and save the extra search/download effort.

Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.hti.com
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1