tom fogal wrote:
> Our package includes Mesa as part of its build, and we use swrast
> for rendering in certain cases.  For quite some time now, we've been
> patching the Mesa source to define the MAX_WIDTH/HEIGHT in config.h to
> be a bit larger: currently 16k^2.
>
> Is there interest in bumping this limit up?  Are there issues we're not
> considering when we do this?
>
> Perhaps we could have a config.h.in which gets generated during
> configuration, and a --with-max-width=16384 could accomodate our case
> without inflating the standard buffer sizes.

I should add this to the FAQ because I answer it every 6 months or so...

The swrast triangle code uses fixed point arithmetic.  If there aren't
enough fractional bits, the edge stepping for a very long edge can
stray, possibly introducing cracks between adjacent triangles, etc.
See the comments in s_tritemp.h

Also, there are quite a few arrays dimensioned by MAX_WIDTH so you'll
be using more memory in various places.

I'd be OK with modifying config.h to read:

#ifndef MAX_WIDTH
#define MAX_WIDTH 4096
#endif

Then allowing a config option like --with-max-width=16384 which
defines MAX_WIDTH, MAX_HEIGHT.  Feel free to submit a patch.

-Brian