I thought our tiny internet portal stack was all "pau" as they say in Hawaii
(over, finished) but the following script which works on a Mac doesn't work
on a PC

on mouseUp
  create directory "mcPrefs"
  if fld "tProxyIP" is empty then
    put empty into line 1 of url ("file://mcPrefs/proxyPrefs.txt")
  else
    put "Proxy Settings" &","&fld "tProxyIP" & ":"& fld "tProxyPort"  into
line 1 of url ("file://mcPrefs/proxyPrefs.txt")
  end if
  checkForProxy
  show Button "Enter Proxy"
  hide group "ProxySet"
end mouseUp

on checkForProxy
  set the httpproxy to item 2 of line 1 url
("file://mcPrefs/proxyPrefs.txt")
end checkforProxy

What is happening is that on a Mac if I fill in the proxy and port fields,
and hit the button on the top it creates a directory called "mcPrefs" and
this line:

 put "Proxy Settings" &","&fld "tProxyIP" & ":"& fld "tProxyPort" \
        into line 1 of url ("file://mcPrefs/proxyPrefs.txt")

will open and write a file and close it, even if the file does not exist to
start with (the syntax implies a file exists, but it doesn't need to, at
least on a MAC.)

but, on the PC, it doesn't write a file to disk. It does create a directory,
but if you check inside the folder there is no "proxyPrefs.txt" file there.

Anyone have a clue? Why would it work on a MAC and not a PC?

You can download the stack which behaves this way. . .it is zipped and up at

wwww.himalayanacademy.com/studyhall/

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager