> From: Scott Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Graphic Display
> Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:31:11 -0600 (MDT)
>
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Eva Isotalo wrote:
>
> > Similar happens here. I've a new Athlon 700 Mhz which behaves strange.
> > Images are often gray at first. There are long delays between opening
> > stacks and such. The Win machine I had before was 233 Mhz Intel ....
> > don't remember but it worked much smother than this one.
> >
> > We found one "reason" for strange behavior - if screen resolution is set
> > to the highest (I'm not with the Win-machine right now so I don't know
> > the messurements, but 2 steps over 800x640) and Color to 16 bit, then
> > palette stack are not drawn properly. Sometimes they are there and
> > sometimes not. When lowering resolution one step this problem went away.
> >
> > But besides that we haven't a clue why it seems slower on a faster
> > machine.
>
> Both of these problems are almost certainly due to bugs and other
> non-features in drivers for the graphics card you're using and not
> anything to do with the hardware or OS.  The standard procedure for
> dealing with these is:
> 1) Make sure you have the absolute latest drivers from the vendor's
> WWW site.
> 2) Disable acceleration in the Display and/or System control panel.
> Trying other screen resolutions or color depths might also be a
> workaround.
> 3) Find a reproducible example and report it to the vendor and insist
> that they fix it.  We're always happy to help any vendor identify and
> fix the problem, but have yet to be contacted by any of them even when
> we ourselves have reported the bugs to them.  Sometimes the bug
> quietly gets fixed in a new driver version, but more commonly the
> vendor just blows off anyone that reports bugs like this.
> 4) Get a different, more reliable, graphics card.
>
> In any case, it would be helpful to know which specific graphics
> adapters you see these problems with so that we can warn others not to
> buy them.
>   Regards,
>     Scott
>
> > Regards,
> > Eva

> Scott Raney  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.metacard.com
> MetaCard: You know, there's an easier way to do that...

Unfortunately we can not always choose our customers nor let them buy new
computers ... so we have to get workarounds !

According to my tests, there are "incompatibility problems" between MC, some
video card drivers and some non-really-standard file formats.

- MC display always OK the RVB jpegs, but display sometimes bad the
gray-level jpegs or the "optimized" jpegs.
- MC display always OK the ordinary gifs, but display sometimes bad the
transparent gifs

For jpegs, the workaround is easy : open the files in Photoshop, transform
as rvb images and save as standard jpeg files.
The same for plain gifs.

For animated or transparent gifs, i am still looking for a reliable
solution.

Regards,
Claude