Now I have a question, related to the previous post.

I have an intro to my program on the first several cards: 1, 2, 3, and 4.
The actual first card where the user can interact (except to abort the
introduction) is card 5. There are sounds that accompany cards 1-4, and a
sound for card 5.

Normal behavior is for each card in turn to display and play its sound, and
when the sound is done to go on to the next card. When we get to card 5, we
play its sound, and wait for the user to do something.

My first method used a succession of on openCard/on playStopped handlers.
This was very annoying, because it made the cards impossible to work on
without the use of a front script to stop the messages from being processed
all the time. Maybe I'm being sensitive, and that's the way to go. But my
background is more SuperCard than HyperCard at this point, and it really
irks me to have to restrain the thing from running all the time. Now that I
write this, it does seem like the simple way to do this, but I'll wait for
everyone's opinion.

So I didn't like having to stop that method all the time. I got rid of the
on openCard messages, and instead put in a series of custom handlers, so
that each playStopped could control the situation better, and missing sound
files were accounted for. But now I'm sending custom messages just to
accomplish what openCard could have done, again all so I can operate in a
more SuperCard-like way. Plus, my code isn't nearly as clear.

So how does everyone handle this? Are you all using frontscripts? Coding
around the obvious cases for openCard? Does this just not come up for you?
Or something else entirely?

Thanks,

Geoff