Signe Marie,

That is an excellent question. I agree that it would make sense that
wherever platform-related settings are used that the platform names are
consistent. MacOS and Win32 seem like good choices for lookAndFeel.

Here's some other tidbits about LookAndFeel:

1) If you are on a PC and change the lookAndFeel to "OS Native" (via
Tools -> Preferences) and then type "put the lookAndFeel" into the Message
Box, you get "Macintosh".

2) If you are on a Mac and change the lookAndFeel to "OS Native" (via
Tools -> Preferences) and then type "put the lookAndFeel" into the Message
Box, you get "Appearance Manager".

3) Typing set the lookAndFeel to "OS Native" - in the Message box and then
typing "put the lookAndFeel" always resulted in "Motif".

I wondered why, so I did some poking around. In the Preferences dialog box
where you set the look and feel, there are four buttons, whose labels are
"Motif", "Windows 95", "Macintosh" and "OS Native". The script of the group
says basically "set the lookAndFeel to the hilitedButtonName of me", which
will set the lookAndFeel to the selected option.

However a closer look showed that the button labelled "OS Native" really has
a name of "Appearance Manager". The other three buttons are named the same
as their labels. This is what gives the reason for #1 and #2 above; if you
try to set the lookAndFeel to "Appearance Manager" on a PC, it defaults to
"Macintosh" instead.

As far as #3 goes, the reason setting the lookAndFeel to "OS Native"
resulted in "Motif" is that this is the way MC deals with lookAndFeels it
doesn't understand - it just picks "Motif". Try typing "set the lookAndFeel
to "Ken Ray"" in the message box and then check it. You'll see it's set for
Motif.

The bottom line?

I feel that the following things should happen:

1) The radio button in the Preferences dialog box should be changed to
"Appearance Manager" (not "OS Native"), optionally disabling it under
non-Macintosh systems.

2) That setting the lookAndFeel property returns a result that is the name
of the lookAndFeel after the property was set. This way, if you're on a
Windows system (with a default "Windows 95" lookAndFeel) if you type:

     set the lookAndFeel to "Fred"
     put the result

you get "Windows 95".

3) That "MacOS", "Win32" and the other "platform" names are added as
synonyms to "Macintosh", "Windows 95" and "Motif". So if you type:

     set the lookAndFeel to "SPARC"

it is the same as:

     set the lookAndFeel to "Motif"

Perhaps in 2.4.1? ;-)