<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So now my question is this:  Are weak references to PyStorage
objects unsupported simply because the necessary stuff to
support them was just never added?  (It doesn't *look* as
though it would take much to support this.)  Or is there some
more fundamental reason weak references to PyStorage objects
can't be supported?

Mk4py can still be compiled with Python 1.52. This has proved valuable to a number of people (myself included) whose hosting providers subscribe to the "if it aint broke don't fix it" philosophy.

I don't know much about Python's weak references (simply because they were introduced after I was involved with Mk4py). I'd be willing to maintain a dual code-base, provided all differences are dealt with (one, I hope) #define's.

So on my end, it's more a lack-of-time-not-high-enough-priority kind of issue than anything else.

On a different, but related, note: I've been making good progress on integrating Nicholas Riley's changes to Mk4py. It now seems to be ok, other than that setup.py appears to be hitting distutils buglets with Python 2.2.3 (current default on my Gentoo Linux setup). For that combination, the answer will have to be: use make. Anyone using Mk4py: if you could download and verify the latest sources from CVS, that would be a big help - it's been holding up a new update of MK way too long already...

-jcw