If you are building Metakit on anything but the usual quad or so of most common platforms, any of C++, Python, or Tcl - could you please help decide what to do?

YES OR NO: get rid of libtool in the MK build process?

WHY: less fighting, drop dependency on libtool, which has changed over the years.

WHY NOT: may require some work to build for special platforms (AIX? HPUX?)

HOW: switch to "gcc -shared", with a few refinements to make it work on Mac OS X and such. These refinements can be added to the unix/configure.in logic, autoconf has sufficient capability to cover most cases, I think.

WINDOWS: no change, when built with MSVC 6 (I just checked in a MSVC 7.0 version, btw). No change with mingw either, since "-shared" does the right thing nowadays.

TCL: probably not affected, it has its own configure logic.

PYTHON: probably not affected, it is moving to distutils.

Your votes and opinions please...

-jcw

PS. In fact, I'd love to throw out all of make and autoconf, if I knew how to create an effective distro without them (Python is furthest along in that area, clearly, with its distutils). Make is a brilliant concept, but even that makes little sense when it's about deploying and compiling a tested distribution - once. IMO the only strong case for autoconf + make nowadays, is that everyone in OSS-land is used to the "configure; make; make install" salute.