On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:10:48PM -0400, Brian Kelley wrote:
> Hey, you were the one that noticed the leaks!  Just realized that...
> What is your platform?

heh, I think I was actually wrong but I didn't post a followup to
the list.  Until recently compiling metakit under a debug build of
python would cause a coredump.  This is no longer the case but I think
it still isn't correct - it just doesn't coredump any more.

The interaction of the C++ destructors and the python refcounter
and garbage collection (I think the wrappers were written before
mark & sweep collection came into python) is mystical.

There are only a few objects that need exposing to python (storage,
view, and rows) and they should be straight forward to wrap in a
light python class with just a pointer to the real C++ class.
Something in the current hybrid breaks sometimes in a way that is
hard to find and the hybrid doesn't buy much in performance.
If you are using metakit from python you already kissed optimizations
in the 2% range.

-jack

My platform is linux (debian) with a 2.4.22 kernel, gcc 2.95.4
Nothing is certain, but when I started using metakit the only
other change I made was the python version (2.2 to 2.4).
I have two sets of apache processes running the same code,
one to handle recording (uses metakit and MySQLdb) and one that
does agregate reporting (uses MySQLdb and gdmodule).  Only
the metakit using one ever coredumps - and only after handling
a few hundred requests.