Yeah, I checked pytables out and it really is a good solution, but the parts I don't like are the complexity of the install, and no explicit division of memory and disk based files. The latter is not so important, but the former is a problem.

As far as mapping to SQL, I handle all the type conversion since I'm making database tables and flat files transparent. I would only be using a small subset of the functionality in pytables, which is OK, but I've done the install on Windows and it's really difficult because of all the dependencies. It would be easier on Unix though.

I don't know, I'll have to think about it some more. I sure wish there were better object serialization solutions for Python. Actually I wish Metakit just supported large files on 32 bit platforms. There simply aren't enough 64 bit platform to justify requiring users to use one if they have large tables.

Brian