Hi Bernd and list,

Bernd, I completely agree what you wrote about the two elusive lunar
meteorites Hadley Rille and Bench Crater.

Recently I was looking through catalogs trying to find out which could be
the rarest meteorite a collector would dream to possess, rarest in terms of
just a few criteria as the (smallest) total weight, locality and perhaps
even type.
 I went to the conclusion it might well be Hadley Rille: brought from Moon,
only c.a. 3 mg (!) available, and, if I remember, all used to make a thin
section and, last but not least, it is more than an ordinary chondrite, just
an...impact melted EH!

Bench Crater is another candidate indeed, as a CM1-like type is perhaps even
more rare, it has a similar origin but its weight is not documented (at
least in this wonderful small handbook "Meteorites from A to Z", that I
always carry with me anywhere). A 3x1.5 mm TS could probably correspond to a
similar tkw.

Thanks for reminding us these two. I am quite sure NOBODY would ever have a
chance to get any fraction of milligram of these two in collection (I'd be
glad somebody could contredict me).

Now the question:
Whoever knows if there migh be somewhere hidden (in a museum, collection, or
just cited in the literature...) some even more rare meteorite, "rare" being
based on similar criteria as above, thus combining location, tkw and type,
to take just these three and simplify.
Just a challange..

Zelimir
----------
At 16:15 15/01/03 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello Steve, Peter and List!
>
>Peter, you are not quite right ;-) There is another, albeit very
>small one, the famous Hadley Rille, EH, recovered by Apollo 15
>astronauts at Station 9, near Hadley Rille. This tiny specimen
>contains euhedral and acicular enstatite grains + kamacite globules.
>It was significantly impact melted when it accreted to the lunar
>regolith (see Met.Bull. 81, 1997, A160).
>
>And, last but not least, there is Bench Crater (CM1-like matrix)
>brought back to Earth from the moon by the Apollo 12 astronauts.
>There is only a single fragment 3mm x 1.5 mm in a thin section of
>rock fragments and List member Allan Treiman says it is the only
>rock from "on" the moon that contains water-bearing minerals.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Bernd
Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe Sécurité et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15